Age Better in Sheffield is an investment programme funded by The National Lottery Community Fund and led by South Yorkshire Housing Association. Their aim is to make Sheffield a city we can all be proud to grow older in, by providing opportunities that reduce loneliness and isolation for people over 50.
The team co-produce and co-deliver a range of different projects with partners across the city. These projects provide opportunities to connect with others, either as participants or as a volunteer.
Some of the projects are only available in certain parts of Sheffield. To find out more about what’s on offer you can head to the Age Better in Sheffield website.
Current Age Better Projects
An overview of the projects include:
- Better Journeys supports older people to do more of the things they love by increasing confidence using local transport across Sheffield.
- A Better Life supports people aged 50 + to experience financial inclusion through group work and 1-2-1 sessions.
- The Ripple Effect is a bereavement service providing emotional and practical support after the loss of a loved one.
- Sparks seeks to engage people aged 50 + by producing a local and city wide programme of events from club nights to touring theatre productions.
- Live Better: Get Connected aims to connect people aged 50 +with their communities in the Beauchief and Greenhill ward of the city.
- Wellbeing Practitioners provides one to one counselling and group therapy for people aged 50 and over who are experiencing low mental wellbeing, and where this may be affecting their ability to engage and interact. The service can be provided in your own home or at a community venue in Sheffield, and is delivered by professional counsellors from Sheffield Mind.
- Ageing Friendly Sheffield works with Lai Yin Association and Age UK Sheffield to explore Sheffield becoming an Ageing Friendly City. This involves bringing local residents, communities, citywide organisations, partners, and key players together to collaborate in the design, delivery and evaluation of the project.
Covid update 08/02/21: Most services continue under covid-safe conditions but may be experiencing changes to how or when they deliver their service. Contact Age Better in Sheffield directly for the latest information.